Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Prevention Magazine. I actually made just mashed potatoes, because I had no cauliflower at home but I am sure the combination is good. The mini sweet peppers are showing up in all the grocery stores I frequent and I have used them in many ways. This looks so pretty on the plate!
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb cauliflower floret
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 lb trimmed flank steak
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb mini sweet peppers, 12 to 18 total
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- Cover potatoes and cauliflower with 2" of cold water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and return to the pan and mash with the buttermilk. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat broiler while vegetables cook.
- Rub top of steak with garlic and sprinkle with 1/8 tsp each salt and black pepper. Place on one side of foil-lined sheet pan.
- Arrange the sweet peppers on the other side of the pan.
- Lightly coat all with olive oil spray.
- Broil 6" from heat, turning until peppers are golden brown on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes, and steak is cooked to medium-rare, about 10 minutes.
- Let steak rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Spoon mashed cauli-potatoes onto plates and serve with steak and peppers.
- Drizzle peppers with vinegar, if desired (and this is recommended!).
- Note: I am sure you can use chunks of mixed sweet bell peppers if the mini peppers are not available.