I grew up eating at this fast-food restaurant and then it suddenly disappeared. Now they are back and their hamburgers and shakes are just as good as they ever were. Their chili cheese fries are delish! Of course, now I only eat at this restaurant on special occasions!!!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup cola (Coca Cola or Pepsi)
- Brown ground beef along with salt in oil. Drain meat and return to crockpot. Put soup in blender and blend for 1 minute. Add all other ingredients, including soup, to crockpot. Let simmer on low for 6 hours or on high for 2 hours.
I've been making Steak and Shake Chili for along time and I recently moved from the St. Louis, MO area and misplaced my recipe that I cut out of the St. Louis Post Dispatch several years ago. This recipe is close but the consistency is too thick. I added 32 ounces of tomato sauce and added more chili powder and it's very close to the original recipe. Thanks for getting it as close as I remember!
AWFUL. Nothing even close to Steak and Shake chili. Whomever wrote this recipe obviously has never been to on. don't waste your time and money on this recipe thinking you are getting chili that tastes anything like the chain Steak & Shake.
I used 2 T of chili owder, 1T sugar instead of cola, 2 large cans of tomato sauce ,1T of coco and up to four cans of beans. I add about 6 oz of water and you can add more water later . It may not taste like Steak and Shake, but I it makes good chili!