Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I grew up eating at this fast-food restaurant and then it suddenly disappeared. Now they are back and their hamburgers and shakes are just as good as they ever were. Their chili cheese fries are delish! Of course, now I only eat at this restaurant on special occasions!!!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup cola (Coca Cola or Pepsi)
- Brown ground beef along with salt in oil. Drain meat and return to crockpot. Put soup in blender and blend for 1 minute. Add all other ingredients, including soup, to crockpot. Let simmer on low for 6 hours or on high for 2 hours.
AWFUL. Nothing even close to Steak and Shake chili. Whomever wrote this recipe obviously has never been to on. don't waste your time and money on this recipe thinking you are getting chili that tastes anything like the chain Steak & Shake.
I concur with the other reviewers: This tastes nothing like SnS chili. It's way too sweet. I added a ton of onion powder and a few tablespoons of beef bouillon powder. That helped. I think if I had skipped the Coke and maybe used V8 instead of tomato sauce, it'd be even better. This makes an edible pot of chili but it's not great and it certainly shouldn't be called SnS chili.
OMG! Sorry but this is nasty. I had to throw it all away. So, F- if there is such a thing. At least you tried. But, your taste buds are wacked. LOL!