Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This dish - basically beef in a savory gravy, served over egg noodles - is my favourite dish from childhood. I now make it for my husband, and he loves it too!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 (21 g) envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (375 g) package broad egg noodles, cooked
- Cut meat into 1-inch squares.
- Brown meat in hot shortening in a large saucepan or deep skillet.
- Transfer meat to a casserole or small roasting pan.
- To the pan, add water and gravy mix.
- Bring to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Stir in onion, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, and bay leaf.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over meat in casserole, and cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles.
This was good but we found a recipe with a heartier bolder thicker sauce.
This tasted very good, but I thought the sauce was too thin. Next time I'll probably try using only 1 to 1 1/2 C water. The flavor was definitely good, though, so it's worth some "tinkering". I did add some garlic, but then I add garlic to almost everything! Thanks for posting!