Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I think this might be close to a Philly Cheese steak sandwich, however I have never had the real thing, and I am certainly not going to call this a Philly cheese steak, I have made this many times for a Super Bowl get together using a tender cut of beef, sliced VERY thin. I have even purchased packaged ready-sliced stir-fry beef strips from the grocery store to make this sandwich, even though they are strips not slices they still work well for this, it saves a lot of slicing time too, also the mushrooms are optional, but I most always use them for this sandwich, saute the mushrooms in advance to save time. You will need about 2-3 pounds of beef for 6 sandwiches, if you are planning on making more than 6, then double all ingredients.
- 226.79-453.59 g white button mushrooms (sliced and sauteed in butter until browned) (optional)
- 3 large onions, sliced very thin
- 2 small green bell peppers, seeded and sliced very thin
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and sliced very thin
- 29.58-59.16 ml oil
- 2.46 ml garlic salt
- salt and black pepper
- 907.18-1360.77 g uncooked beef, sliced thin (use a tender cut of beef like sirloin or tenderloin for this)
- 8-10 slice mozzarella cheese (or use a much as desired) or 8-10 slice provolone cheese (or use a much as desired)
- 6 soft Italian rolls, split in half
- Saute the mushrooms in butter in a large frypan until browned; set aside.
- In the same skillet saute the onions and peppers in oil with garlic salt and black pepper and salt until well sauteed; set aside to a dish.
- In the same skillet fry the beef slices until browned but not crispy.
- Add in the onions/green pepper mixture back to the pan and toss gently with the beef.
- Place the cheese slices on top of the beef/green pepper mixture in the skillet and let melt.
- Pile the mixture onto each bun top with sauteed mushrooms (if using) then cover with the top slice of bun.
- Wrap each sandwich separately in a large piece of paper towel, and place in the microwave on HIGH for about 22 seconds to warm and soften the bun (this is optional but I always do this!).
- Serve sandwiches while the beef mixture is still warm.
Yummy! I made this with leftover rib eye and and stuffed myself, lol. Very simple and good. Thanks Kitten for yet another keeper. Made for Bargain Basement Tag.