Recipe by Shae
This is just one of those baked sandwiches that you get a craving for every once in a while. This is good "football watching" food, if you know what I mean!!
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
I made these quick, tasty sandwiches for a nice New Year's Day lunch. Had everything on hand, and followed this exactly. This was as close to "sub shop" type "Steak Subs", without making the trip into town. Wonderful delicious-i-ness that can't be beat. I decreased the butter to 1/2 tablespoon because I just sprayed the pan with cooking spray and sauteed' the onions, green pepper, and mushrooms until soft and added mixed minute steak in until heated through. Put the whole wonderful mix in the oven to toast. Oh boy, this was a real treat....and will keep this recipe for years to come! Thank you so very much!
- 1 box frozen minute steak (a.k.a. Steak-Ums)
- 1 carton whole mushrooms or 1 carton sliced fresh mushrooms (sliced if you buy whole)
- 1 large vidalia onion, sliced (or other sweet)
- 1 green pepper, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- seasoning salt (I use Lawry's)
- garlic powder
- course ground black pepper
- hoagie rolls or sub hot dog bun
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice frozen meat into long, thin strips.
- In large, deep skillet, or dutch oven, melt butter.
- Add sliced onion (and green pepper if using) and cook just until they start to sweat.
- Add mushrooms and frozen steak strips.
- Add your seasonings (season salt, garlic powder, black pepper).
- Keep heat on about medium to medium high (you are going to cook these pretty fast).
- Stir occasionally to ensure all meat is browning.
- While meat is browning, open rolls, place on cookie sheet, and"toast" in oven.
- Cook meat mixture until all meat is brown.
- (Tip: Just as meat is done, I will"recheck" seasoning, and usually end up having to add a little more) Spread each roll with generous amount of meat mixture and top each sandwich with mozzerella cheese.
- Return to oven and broil just until cheese starts to brown.
- Now hurry up and get back to that chair-- half time is almost over!