Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a decently quick casserole to make and quite good too.
- 4 cube steaks
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushrooms
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- Brown steaks in drippings.
- Remove from skillet.
- Sauté mushrooms and onion slices until tender.
- Drain steaks, mushrooms and onion slices on paper towels.
- Combine soup, buttermilk, parsley and seasonings, blending till smooth.
- Place alternate layers of potatoes, onion and mushroom slices, steak and sauce in greased 2 1/2-quart casserole.
- Bake uncovered in 350° oven for 1 hour, or till potatoes are tender.
I was looking for a review to use some leftover steak and this one turned out great. I used fresh mushrooms and left out the bacon, buttermilk and mustard. I did add a little fat free milk. I also just put it all in the crockpot and served it over noodles. Delicious
OHG!! I have been looking for this recipe forever. My mom used to make it and love, love, love it!! This is exactly how she did it and can not wait to make it tonight. YUMMMM. Thanks so much!!
This was easy to prepare making it good for days when you don't have alot of time to fuss over food. Just pop it in the oven and forget about it until it's done. The flavor was good, but I think I'll add in a touch of garlic when I make it again. Thanks for sharing!