Recipe by Manami
Bite into a suculent steak and the first thing that comes to mind, might just be the earthy taste of a Cabernet Sauvignon: Louis A Martini! I found this on the LouisMartini.com and Certified Angus Beef site. Fantastic sounding! Have not tasted it as yet; have saved it for my best friend who is planning a large dinner party;).Edited on10/17/2008: The caloric value is high but this is for a whole meal - steak, risotto, cabernet sauvignon, cream ad infinitum!! Therefore, I am warning you but we tasted this and it was wonderful!! Added a few things here and there but I hope this has made it better - at least we like it! Originally posted: 08/07/2008.:=)
- 6 angus beef center-cut sirloin steaks
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean and chopped
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean and chopped (if stems are too tough, save for another dish)
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, cleaned and chopped (if stems are too hard, save for another dish)
- 1 cup louis m martini cabernet sauvignon wine
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 4 ounces pancetta, thinly sliced
- 2 cups risotto rice (we used Arborio)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped blanched asparagus
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes (a pinch or two)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in braising pan or Dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, if using, and cook 3-4 minutes or until garlic is lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5-6 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with wine and add tomatoes.
- Cover tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to medium and gently simmer 40 minutes.
- Heat additional olive oil in heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Saute shallots and pancetta 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add risotto and cook 2-3 inutes or until risotto begins to brown.
- Combine broth with cream in a small saucepan and heat until simmering.
- Add broth mixture to hot risotto cup by cup, adding more liquid only when the previous cup is absorbed into the rice.
- The final 1-2 cups will not be completely absorbed but will give the risotto a creamy texture.
- Stir in oregano and asparagus and keep warm for service.
- Brush steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill on high and reduce to med high; grill steaks to desired doneness.
- Serve steaks with risotto and sauce.
- Serve with Louis M Martini Cabernet Sauvignon!