Recipe by Chef Vickie
This is hearty family-style comfort food. It is a layered casserole that is great for a big family or a company dish. It is a little spicy. From Dinah Shore, god rest her soul.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon drippings
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 16 ounces tomatoes, drained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup rich beef gravy or 1 cup brown sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3 -4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 (1 1/2 lb) round steaks, 1/2 inch thick or 4 (1 1/2 lb) sirloin steaks, 1/2-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup canned pimiento
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and green chili in bacon fat: then add tomatoes, sauce, gravy, paste, Tabasco and Worcestershire. Stir, lower the heat and add remaining sauce ingredients, heat through then turn off the heat.
- For the meat preparation, remove all bones and fat and cut into serving size pieces, then rub both sides with salt, pepper and flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown steak on both sides, drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Layer half of steak in a large casserole dish, cover with 1/3 of cheese and pimientos. Repeat with the steak, cheese and pimientos, then cover the whole thing with the sauce.
- Bake covered for 2 hours or until done.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon.