1/1 Photo of Steak-Lovers' Leftovers (Sandwiches)
Amazingly enough, there was a little bit of beef tenderloin left after Christmas dinner last year. Looking for a way to stretch less than a pound to make a full meal for 4, I found this recipe from the Feb., 1990, issue of Gourmet Magazine. Everyone just lapped it up! While the quality of meat is obviously a big factor, you can use anything from tenderloin to grilled flank steak to deli roast beef with acceptable results.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, plus extra for bread
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml thinly-sliced onion
- 177.44 ml thinly-sliced mushroom
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 177.44 ml beef broth
- 22.18 ml heavy cream
- 44.37 ml catsup
- 22.18 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 453.59 g grilled steak or 453.59 g cooked roast beef, thinly-sliced
- 1 loaf long Italian bread
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil in large skillet over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- 2(Note: The original recipe says to cook until"golden and crispy". I've never managed to get them crispy, but they're delicious just caramelized.) Using a slotted spoon to allow excess oil to drip back into the skillet, remove onion slices to paper towels to drain.
- 3Reduce heat to moderately low and add mushrooms and garlic to skillet.
- 4Cook in remaining oil, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to turn brown; transfer mixture to a small bowl.
- 5Pour broth into skillet and deglaze, using a wooden spoon to scrape up all the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- 6Add cream, catsup, worcestershire and mustard.
- 7(The recipe doesn't say to, but at this point I let it simmer a little while to reduce sauce and thicken a bit.) Cut bread loaf in half horizontally and butter each half lightly.
- 8Cut each half into 4 equal pieces and toast in oven, buttered side up.
- 9Stir sliced beef and mushroom mixture into sauce and heat thoroughly.
- 10Place beef slices on bottom slices of bread, spooning desired amount of sauce over each slice.
- 11Sprinkle caramelized onions over each sandwich and place other half of bread slices on top.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak-Lovers' Leftovers (Sandwiches)
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 626.2
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 100.2 mg
- Sodium 812.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 28.8 g