Recipe by Chef Sharon 15
The best salad I've ever eaten!! We got given some leftover ribeyes from a barbecue at my husband's company. I've seen recipes for steak salad many times before but never had the luxury of steaks to play with! Of course, I couldn't find any of the recipes that I'd been hoarding for just such a time so came up with my own dressing that suited the salad to a T. If you mix up the dressing and let it sit for at least a half an hour, it blends the flavours better and makes it that much tastier! We used sourdough croutons which were really good for this salad. The steak needs to be completely cooled so that it doesn't wilt the lettuce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs grilled steak, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, cut into strips
- 1 large red pepper, cut into strips
- 2 tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 12 cups lettuce, romaine
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup sourdough crouton
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together dressing ingredients and let sit for at least half an hour.
- Meanwhile, place lettuce, mushrooms, pepper and tomato into large bowl, top with steak strips. Pour dressing over, toss thoroughly, then top each bowl with croutons and bacon bits. Serve with warm garlic bread.