Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I am a Brit living in Florida and brought this recipe with me when I moved here over 25 years ago - and it's still made on a regular basis. The secret is slow cooking the meat to increase the flavour. The addition of a good beer is optional and you may not want to do this if it is for children also. This recipe has a fairly long preparation time and should be cooked a day in advance of when you plan to eat it. A good steak & kidney pie should not be fancied up with exotic herbs, spices or vegetables. Some of my American friends have loved this pie although, on occasion, I had to substitute additional mushrooms (just before baking) for kidneys. You really don't taste the kidneys; they just enhance the flavour.
- 1 lb beef steak
- 3 -4 ounces lambs kidneys
- 1 beef stock cube
- 5 -6 fresh mushrooms, cut into quarters
- Cut the meat into 1" cubes(approx.).
- Cut up the kidneys into small pieces.
- Season the flour with salt & pepper and place into a large Ziploc bag. Place the meat in the bag and move around until it is all coated with the flour
- Place the meat into a tall sided frying pan.
- Crumble in the stock cube and cover with just enough water to cover the meat.
- Cook very slowly at about 200F for about 3 hours.
- Let it become cold after cooking (covered dish in the fridge is fine).
- When ready to make the pie, line a pie dish with shortcrust pastry, put in the meat and add the mushrooms.
- Cover with puff pastry, having wet the shortcrust to encourage the puff pastry to stick to it.
- Place in a 450F pre-heated oven for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is cooked
- Serve hot with roast potatoes, carrots and gravy.
I had to join food.com just to post a good review of your recipe.
Thatnks for sharing, it's down right delicious