Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My DH2b loved the chicken pizzaiola sub at Subway, so I set out to find something similar. I came across this Cooking Pleasures magazine, and have made it with both chicken and steak. (Of course, the cooking directions are different with chicken.) Can be served as a main dish or on a sub if you slice the meat up a bit more.
- 1 lb top round beef or 1 lb top sirloin steak, 1/4 inch thick,cut into 4 pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 drops hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place oil and garlic in large skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until garlic is golden brown.
- Press down on garlic to release juices, then discard garlic.
- Add steaks to skillet and cook 1-2 minutes or until steaks are done, turning once.
- Place steaks on serving platter.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, salt and hot pepper sauce to skillet.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Stir in parsley.
- Pour sauce over steaks and serve.
Pretty good, especially for as simple and as few ingredients as there are. I turn the oven on low and transfer the steaks in there on an oven-safe serving plate to keep warm while I make the sauce.