Steak in Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet on medium-high heat. Add the steaks and sear on high heat until done to your preference, about 2-4 minutes per side for rare to medium rare.
- Let the steaks rest in a heated oven until ready to eat.
- Melt the butter in the same pan. Add the onion and saute at medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and cognac and deglaze the pan and simmer until it has thickened and reduced by about half.
- Remove from heat and stir in the blue cheese and pour over the steaks. Garnish with additional blue cheese crumbles.