1/1 Photo of Steak in a Garden
Tasty and colorful beef stir-fry. Original recipe by Lucille Treat, posted with a few changes. The secret to making this recipe is to have everything chopped and set out in order of addition to the wok. I've used a Dutch oven before, and it works, but not as well as a wok. Serve over hot cooked rice. Prep time does not include getting the steak partially frozen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless sirloin steaks
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (I usually leave this out because of the soy)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 carrots, scraped and thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into strips (I use 1 if they are large peppers)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3/4 cup celery, diagonally sliced
- 8 green onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen snow pea pods, thawed and drained (may use fresh if you can find them)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1Partially freeze the steak; slice diagonally across the grain into 2 x 1/4 inch strips.
- 2Combine 1 tbsp peanut oil, 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper; stir well. Pour soy sauce mixture over the steak; cover and let stand for 20 minutes. (You can chop the veggies while this is happening).
- 3Combine the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, beef broth, sugar, and ginger; stir well and set aside.
- 4Pour the remaining 2 tbsp oil around the top of a preheated wok, coating the sides; heat at medium-high (325 degrees) for 2 minutes. Add the reserved steak mixture, and stir-fry 4 to 5 minutes. Add the carrots, and stir fry 3 minutes. Add the pepper strips, and stir fry 3 minutes. Add the celery, green onions, snow peas, and garlic; stir fry 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5Add the reserved broth mixture to the steak mixture, and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- 6Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak in a Garden
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.3
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 793.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 27.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
snow pea pods