Tasty and colorful beef stir-fry. Original recipe by Lucille Treat, posted with a few changes. The secret to making this recipe is to have everything chopped and set out in order of addition to the wok. I've used a Dutch oven before, and it works, but not as well as a wok. Serve over hot cooked rice. Prep time does not include getting the steak partially frozen.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless sirloin steaks
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (I usually leave this out because of the soy)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 carrots, scraped and thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into strips (I use 1 if they are large peppers)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3⁄4 cup celery, diagonally sliced
- 8 green onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (6 ounce) packagefrozen snow pea pods, thawed and drained (may use fresh if you can find them)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Partially freeze the steak; slice diagonally across the grain into 2 x 1/4 inch strips.
- Combine 1 tbsp peanut oil, 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper; stir well. Pour soy sauce mixture over the steak; cover and let stand for 20 minutes. (You can chop the veggies while this is happening).
- Combine the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, beef broth, sugar, and ginger; stir well and set aside.
- Pour the remaining 2 tbsp oil around the top of a preheated wok, coating the sides; heat at medium-high (325 degrees) for 2 minutes. Add the reserved steak mixture, and stir-fry 4 to 5 minutes. Add the carrots, and stir fry 3 minutes. Add the pepper strips, and stir fry 3 minutes. Add the celery, green onions, snow peas, and garlic; stir fry 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the reserved broth mixture to the steak mixture, and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Serve over rice.
What a great supper! I didn't have as many peppers as listed but I subbed them with mushrooms. I have been wanting to make this for a while and I'm glad that I did - delicious! Made for Went To The Market. Thanks breezermom!!
I loved this recipe. It was easy and turned out great. Even my husband who doesn't like bell pepper enjoyed it. Definately a keeper!