Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 35 mins
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1⁄2 lb flank steak, pounded and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup lentils, cooked to al dente and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin, divided
- 1 beef double bouillon cubes (knorr)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided (about)
- lemon wedge (for serving)
- Stir together olive oil, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cumin salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice.
- Pour over meat to coat all pieces, and place in the refrigerator to marinate 2 hours.
- In a large sauce pan, heat 1 tsp oil.
- Roast hazelnuts until lightly golden, then add rice and 4 cups water, lentils, a splash of olive oil, boullion cube, remaining cumin and cinnamon, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and continue to cook 10 more minutes, without liftting lid.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand 5 more minutes before you lift the lid.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan over medium high heat, and sautei beef slices until cooked through (about 5-7 minutes); set aside.
- After rice has"rested" 5 minutes, fluff with a fork, and remove to a serving platter.
- Top with beef and freshly chopped parsley and garnish with lemon wedges.
For us the lemon seemed to take over this dish. I would make it again but leave out the lemon juice.