Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this in my Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine! :) sounds delicious!
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks, 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 sprigs oregano (no stems leaves chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 4 large pita bread (or other flatbread)
- 4 lemon wedges (optional)
- cucumber, slices (optional)
- tomatoes, slices (optional)
- red onion, slices (optional)
- shredded romaine lettuce (optional)
- kalamata olive (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Preheat the broiler or grill to medium.
- Drizzle the steak with extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, turning once, for medium rare 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly then slice thinly.
- While steak is cooking or cooling, use a food processor to puree the feta, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander, and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl. Leave in fridge to cool if you'd like.
- Char the pitas under the broiler or grill. Top with steak and your choice of toppings (see optional items above). Serve with lemon wedges and yogurt sauce.
The sauce is beautiful, really tasty. We used some sliced veal which turned out very tender. We also rolled the gyros then toasted in a cafe press, didn't even use foil. Fabulous, fun making and easy and everyone enjoyed them, thank you!
Gyros are one of my favorite delights. This recipe kicks it up a notch with the addition of steak! Delicious. Great flavors. I will be making this again and again!!! Thanks so much for posting this recipe!
i've always loved gyros but never made one til now...i'm so glad i did!! the sauce is great & even better the next day! made for zwt4.