Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is another method to cook a cheap piece of meat. The gravy is thin so you might need to thicken it a bit with some cornstarch at the end of cooking. In the winter time I cook this in the oven, it helps keep the house warm and in the summer I throw it in the crock pot. Make some mashed potatoes or rice and add a veggie and I have supper.
- 2 -3 lbs chuck, flank or 2 -3 lbs round steaks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 large onion, chopped coarsely (or 1 package dry onion soup mix)
- chopped garlic (optional)
- cooking oil
- Cut steak into pieces about 2 inches wide and tenderize with a meat mallet (or get your butcher to tenderize for you).
- Mix salt, pepper and flour in a shallow dish.
- Dredge meat in flour and brown in a small amount of oil and place in a 9 X 13 pan.
- When all the meat is browned add onions or soup mix and just enough water to cover meat.
- Tightly cover with aluminum foil and cook in a preheated 300°F oven for a couple of hours.
- Or use your crock pot and cook for 6 hours.