1/1 Photo of Steak Fingers for Rare Steak Lovers
If you love rare or medium rare steak, this recipe is for you. My mother used to prepare this recipe for us kids (and she passed away recently at age 81--so it's a pretty old recipe). I believe these steak fingers were served at a Houston restaurant that she worked in during the 1960s. This dish goes well with hot rice. Be sure to cook your rice before you cook the steak fingers because this recipe is very fast! Note: The steak fingers are meant to turn out juicy, not "crispy."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut up Round Steak or Sirloin Steak into finger-sized pieces (about 1" or so in diameter, but no thinner or the meat will cook too fast), about 1/3 to 1/4 pound per person.
- 2(To make slicing easier, place the meat in the freezer for about 30 minutes before slicing.).
- 3Dip the Steak Fingers into the Soy Sauce, then dredge in the flour. (You can use a plastic bag for the flour-dipping part.).
- 4Repeat Step 3, then place all the meat on a plate or platter. (At this point, if I want the pieces to turn out especially rare, I put them back into the freezer for a bit before cooking.).
- 5When you get a plateful of breaded Steak Fingers prepared, quickly place them into a frying pan of heated vegetable oil one at a time. They should really sizzle as soon as you drop them into the oil. As soon as the entire plateful of meat is in the oil, begin turning the pieces. As soon as you have finished turning all the pieces, begin taking them out to drain on a paper towel covered plate. Sprinkle with cracked pepper and serve over hot rice with a salad.
- 6NOTE: The entire frying process should only take a few minutes. DO NOT LEAVE THE STOVE OR THEY WILL OVERCOOK. The meat may turn out tough if it is cooked well done.
- 7P.S. These steak fingers heat well the next day for lunch, just so long as they are not cooked well done to begin with.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak Fingers for Rare Steak Lovers
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.0
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 64.6 mg
- Sodium 2070.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 32.8 g