Recipe by Dib's
For perfect fajitas every time-Keith's Master Recipe! Make sure to check out the optional condiments at the end of the directions.
Top Review by MaMere
This is the absolute BEST fajita recipe....EVER! I made this recipe on Cinco de Mayo this yr, and Di, I accumulated so many princess points for it I almost feel guilty! <br/>Made with Skirt Steak, and used Red & Yellow Peppers, along with some sweet Vidalia Onions...Used leftovers (made the full recipe just for the 2 of us) for Taco Bowl Salads a few days later with no loss of flavor.<br/>Thank you thank you, Hubby thanks you too!
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup tamari
- 3 green onions
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 lbs inside skirt steaks
- 2 green peppers
- 1 large yellow onion
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Tamari is aged soy sauce and can be found in most grocery stores.
- In a blender combine the olive oil, tamari, green onions, garlic cloves, lime juice, red pepper flakes, cumin and brown sugar.
- Blend until smooth.
- Cut your skirt steak into 3 equal pieces.
- Place steaks in a large zip-lock baggie.
- Pour in marinade, remove as much air as possible and seal.
- Move steak around in baggie so that all sides are coated.
- Marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Wrap your tortillas in aluminum foil-seal.
- Slice green peppers in half-remove seeds.
- Peel and slice your onion into 1/4 inch slices.
- Heat charcoal until grey ash is achieved.
- Place grill grate "directly" on top of hot coals.
- Heat grate for 10 minutes.
- While grate is heating up get a 2 foot length of aluminum foil and fold over once. Crimp sides well to make a foil pouch. You will want to double if not using heavy duty foil.
- Remove steaks from marinade-place directly onto hot grate.
- Discard marinade in baggie.
- Cook for 1 minute 30 seconds per side.
- Remove, place on foil and seal.
- Let stand in sealed foil packet for 15 minutes.
- While steak is resting grill peppers and onion slices to desired doneness.
- Place foil wrapped tortillas on grate for 3 minutes, flip and continue to heat for another 3 minutes.
- Open foil packet carefully so that you reserve the juices.
- Slice steaks thinly across the grain, straight down-no need to angle the slice, no more than 1/4 inch thick.
- Return meat to foil packet and coat with juices.
- Slice peppers and cut onion slices in half.
- Dress your tortillas with meat, peppers and onions.
- Optional condiments are sour cream, guacamole, shredded sharp cheddar or queso cheese, sliced jalapeños.
- We have used flank steak with equal success. Lay the flank steak flat on a cutting board and carefully cut it in half widthwise (so that it looks like you have two thin flank steaks), cut one into 3 pieces and continue with recipe directions, freezing the other half for another night.
- Prep time includes marinating time.