This recipe pairs skirt steak (a flavorful, yet less tender cut of beef) with citrus, garlic and chile- all piled into a soft flour tortilla. The garnishes are up to you: We like pico de gallo and sour cream, but also try grilled onions and bell peppers. An easy and low-calorie Tex-Mex favorite from Ladies Home Journal Test Kitchen.
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground arbol chile (or chile powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs skirt steaks (or flank steak)
- 6 soft flour tortillas, warmed
- pico de gallo
- sour cream (for garnish)
- Make marinade:.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large shallow baking dish. Add steak, turning to coat. Cover and marinate steak in the refrigerator, 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat grill. Remove steak from refrigerator and stand at room temperature, 15 minutes. Remove steak from marinade and grill 5 minutes. Turn and grill steak 3 to 5 minutes more, or until instant-read thermometer inserted in center of steak reaches 135 degrees F for medium-rare.
- Transfer to cutting board and slice. Divide and fill warm tortillas with steak, pico de gallo and sour cream, if desired.
- Makes 6 servings.
- NOTE: Time does not include marinaing time.