Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Incredible Portuguese/Hispanic comfort food. Thanks to my Dad for preparing this recipe so often when we were growing up.
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 1 onion, halved pole to pole and sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into 2-inch strips
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (20 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons grandma's spanish pepper (or use a combination of chili powder and ground cumin)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 6 flour tortillas (optional)
- 20 ounces refried beans (optional)
- Cut the chuck roast into 2-inch cubes and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil on medium-high in a Dutch oven until shimmering.
- Add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Add sliced onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and garlic and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, and seasonings and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer on low for three hours on stove. Alternatively, you may cover and put in a 300-degree oven and cook for three hours. You may also cook for 8 hours on low in a 6-quart slow cooker (or 6 hours on high).
- Serve in tortillas with beans (like a burrito) or on its own in a bowl and enjoy!
Love this. I use round steak and Ro-Tel tomatoes and serve over rice.
la bomba! this is just like me madres, except we use pork!