Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cumin seasoned steak and bananas on the grill along with rice and black beans. Grill times are for a compression type indoor grill - like a George Foreman.
- 4 rib eye steaks, boneless 1-inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 2 large firm bananas, peeled and cut in half lengthwise and crosswise (or 2 plantain bananas, fully ripe)
- 2⁄3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup black beans, cooked (or canned, rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- Preheat indoor electric grill.
- Trim fat from steaks. Combine garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, and ground red pepper. Reserve 1/4 tsp spice mixture for rice.
- Brush both sides of steaks with 1 tbsp of lime juice. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over steaks; rub in with fingers.
- Combine the remaining 1 tbsp lime juice , orange peel and melted margarine. Brush on both sides of bananas and set aside.
- Cook rice according to package directions in lightly salted water along with add reserved spice mixture. Stir in beans and red sweet pepper to cooked rice; heat through.
- Place steaks on grill and close lid. Cook 4-6 minutes for medium-rare, 6-8 minutes for medium. When done remove steaks from grill, cover and keep warm.
- Add bananas to the grill and close lid. Grill until heated through, about 4 minutes.
- Note: if using plaintain bananas- when fully ripe they are still firm but the skin has turned mostly black. If not using fully ripe plantains- cook a little longer than instructed.
This is a very nice simple dinner with an island twist that I love. I made it exactly as written, and it was lovely, though in the future, I think I will make it a little spicier with an extra dash or two of cayenne. We love spicy. The plantains/bananas are perfect.
I am catching up on my reviews today. I can't remember when I first made this...a while back. DH hates it when I add anything to steak but he liked this seasoning. I was shocked! I used my own rice and beans recipe so I can't judge on that...the plantains are really nice on the grill...just love this and make it often, in fact, I'm making it tonight. I like to add a salad of lettuce, avocado, bacon and arugula with EVOO and white vinegar to round out the meal. Thanks for posting this keeper.