Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Tasty recipe adapted from 'Cooking with Wine and Cheese', Australian University Press 1972.
- 2 -3 kg chuck, topside or 2 -3 kg other piece beef, in one piece
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 4 anchovies, diced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream
- Heat oil in a fry pan.
- Brown the meat, onions, garlic and anchovies.
- Transfer meat to an ovenproof dish.
- Add 1/2 cup beef stock to the fry pan.
- Deglaze the pan and add to an ovenproof dish.
- Add balance of beef stock, wine, bay leaf, brown sugar, salt, pepper and brown sugar to the ovenproof dish.
- Cover and cook in slow oven (250 F) for 2 1/2 hours.
- Turn meat several times.
- Remove meat from pan and cover with aluminium foil while you make the gravy.
- Remove bay leaf from roast liquid.
- Add flour and make a gravy.
- Add cream to gravy.
I don't particularly like anchovies but I loved this dish - the sauce is sensational.