Recipe by bayousong
This is one of our favorite casseroles. Even if you do not like casseroles, I think you will like this one.
Top Review by ncshagger
Seemed like a lot of onions when I was slicing them, but they added so much to the flavor. I did not have dry vermouth on hand so just added more chicken broth and didn't notice any difference. Did add more garlic and it smelled yummy while cooking. DH2B loved it. Will definitely make again
- 2 lbs round steaks
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs potatoes, sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 (6 ounce) cans mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 dash garlic powder (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut meat into serving size pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper and brown in hot oil.
- Place meat in a large baking dish.
- Layer potatoes, then onions and then mushrooms over meat.
- Season potatoes and onions as you go.
- Mix 1/2 can chicken broth with all other ingredients.
- Pour over all.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours.
- After the first hour check liquids and if necessary, add remaining chicken broth.