Recipe by Charlotte J
Beef Petite Tender medallions steeped in a garlicky honey-lime marindade, grilled and served with a tangy tomatillo-bell pepper chutney and a golden mushroom and cheese quesadilla. Once you have the main things made it only takes about 10 minutes to assemble. And if you want a little more info....Beef Petite Tender Medallions are cut from the Beef Petite Tender Roast, a small separate muscle that rests on top of the shoulder near the top blade. The Beef Petite Tender Roast is separated from the Beef Chuck, Shoulder Clod by following the natural seam. All external fat is removed and it is then cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick medallions.
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bay leaf powder
- 9 lbs beef medallions, cut 1 inch thick
- 3 -4 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs tomatillos, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups green bell peppers, diced
- 3 cups red bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces butter, softened
- 24 flour tortillas (8 to 10 inch)
- 4 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced sauteed
- 6 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- watercress leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Marinated Beef:.
- Combine all ingredients, except beef medallions, in large non-reactive container; mix until honey is blended.
- Add beef and turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Turn medallions once during marinating.
- To make Tomatillo Chutney:.
- Saute jalapeno peppers and garlic in oil in non-reactive saucepan until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, salt and pepper then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes or until liquid is syrupy and tomatillos begin to discolor.
- Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Yield: about 2 quarts.
- To make Mushroom Quesadillas:.
- Spread 2 teaspoon butter on 1 side of each tortilla.
- Place 1 tortilla, buttered side down, on plastic wrap.
- Top 1 half with ¼ cup mushrooms and 1 ounce cheese.
- Fold in half; wrap in plastic.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients. Refrigerate.
- Yield: 24 quesadillas.
- For each serving, to order:.
- On griddle or non-stick pan, cook 1 quesadilla until crisp and golden brown, turning once; cut into 3 wedges.
- Keep warm.
- Grill or saute 3 beef medallions to medium rare to medium, turning once.
- Place ¼ cup chutney near center of plate.
- Overlap beef medallions on chutney.
- Add quesadillas wedges.
- Garnish with watercress.