Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This salad is delicious, and so easy! Tender strips of lime-garlic marinated steak, pinto or black beans, avocado, tomatoes, crushed tortilla chips, and more served on a bed of fresh greens with a wonderful tangy dressing. From a wonderful little book picked up in the bargain section at the book store--simply titled Easy Meals-Mexican. Very easy and fast to put together...don't let the ingredient list throw you.
- 12 ounces tender steak, like sirloin
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 limes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch sugar
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 7 -10 ounces prepared salad greens
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (14 ounce) can black beans or 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, pitted,sliced,and tossed with a bit of the juice from one of the limes
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 green chili peppers or 1 red chili pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (8 ounce) can corn, drained
- generous handful tortilla chips, broken into pieces
- Place the steak in a large zip top bag, or nonmetal dish with the garlic, juice from 1/2 of one of the limes, and 3 tbsp olive oil, set aside to marinate while you make the dressing and prepare the salad.
- For the dressing: Combine the juice from 1 whole lime, the remaining 3 tbsp olive oil, vinegar, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and the pinch of sugar.
- Set aside.
- Pan fry the steak, or broil, until browned on the outside and cooked to your liking on the inside.
- Remove from the pan, let it sit for a few minutes, then slice into thin strips.
- Toss the green onions with the salad greens and arrange on seving plates.
- Pour some dressing over the greens, reserving some for topping the salad later.
- Put some beans, avocado, and tomatoes over the greens next, topping with the chile, cilantro and corn.
- Arrange the steak over the greens, then add some crushed chips over that.
- Divide the rest of the dressing over the salads, serve immediately.
This salad has become a staple summer salad in our home. It tastes amazing and looks gorgeous on a plate. A hit with guests and even my 4 yr old and 18 month old will eat it! Only change is that I sometime omit the chili pepper because then it's too spicy for some.
This was so very easy to make and so incredibly good. I grilled my steak, and I think next time I will plan ahead and let it marinate for a couple of hours so the meat can absorb more of the garlic and lime flavor. The only thing I didn't add was the tortilla chips as I didn't have any on hand.