Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Classic, ultimate decadent, French bistro meal, not for calorie counters. If you only eat beef once a year, this is the recipe I recommend.
- 2 (12 -16 ounce) steaks, NY Strip, bone in suggested (don't skimp on quality)
- kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter (clarified & unsalted)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock (I use Better Than boullion) or 3⁄4 cup broth (I use Better Than boullion)
- 1⁄4 cup brandy or 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn, in brine, drained and slightly crushed
- Preheat ove to 375 degrees F. Have all ingredients at room temperature. Sprinkle steaks with black pepper and salt. Heat butter in a 12-inch, heavy bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Once butter is hot, add steaks and cook until browned on both sides, about three minutes per side. Remove steaks from pan and place on a rack set in roasting pan; place in oven for 20 minutes for medium rare-medium. DO NOT OVER COOK! THIS RECIPE DOES NOT CALL FOR WELL DONE!.
- While steaks are roasting, saute shallots in saute pan with steak drippings and butter. When shallots are translucent, add stock to pan and whisk. Reduce liquid for 3 to 4 minutes over medium high heat. Add brandy, cream and green peppercorns to the pan. Increase heat to high and cook, whisking continually, until sauce thickens slightly, enough to just coat the back of a spoon; (5-8 minutes). Lower heat to just below a simmer.
- Place steaks on plates. Whisk pan drippings into sauce and top steaks. Serve immediately. I have served this dish with twice baked potatoes, dutchess potatoes, puffed potatoes and a green vegetable.
Outstanding and definitely decadent. I love stuff that's not good for you! Rich flavor, good texture and it MADE the meat (and I used a good cut). I used Tellicherry peppercorns instead of green. Toughest part of the recipe was smashing the peppercorns on the concrete step outside next to the pool. Locked and loaded. Nice job there, R.
Prepared this yesterday for an anniversary dinner and it was wonderful... used fillet, as the cut suggested isn't available here, but the sauce was EXCELLENT! So pleased I chose this recipe. Thanks
I tried this recipe a few times , really good !!!!