R. Warren Meddoff's Note:
Classic, ultimate decadent, French bistro meal, not for calorie counters. If you only eat beef once a year, this is the recipe I recommend.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (12 -16 ounce) steaks, NY Strip, bone in suggested (don't skimp on quality)
- kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter (clarified & unsalted)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3/4 cup beef stock (I use Better Than boullion) or 3/4 cup broth (I use Better Than boullion)
- 1/4 cup brandy or 1/4 cup cognac
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn, in brine, drained and slightly crushed
- 1Preheat ove to 375 degrees F. Have all ingredients at room temperature. Sprinkle steaks with black pepper and salt. Heat butter in a 12-inch, heavy bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Once butter is hot, add steaks and cook until browned on both sides, about three minutes per side. Remove steaks from pan and place on a rack set in roasting pan; place in oven for 20 minutes for medium rare-medium. DO NOT OVER COOK! THIS RECIPE DOES NOT CALL FOR WELL DONE!.
- 2While steaks are roasting, saute shallots in saute pan with steak drippings and butter. When shallots are translucent, add stock to pan and whisk. Reduce liquid for 3 to 4 minutes over medium high heat. Add brandy, cream and green peppercorns to the pan. Increase heat to high and cook, whisking continually, until sauce thickens slightly, enough to just coat the back of a spoon; (5-8 minutes). Lower heat to just below a simmer.
- 3Place steaks on plates. Whisk pan drippings into sauce and top steaks. Serve immediately. I have served this dish with twice baked potatoes, dutchess potatoes, puffed potatoes and a green vegetable.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak Au Poivre Verte, Ultimate Decadent Version
Serving Size: 1 (592 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1657.0
- Calories from Fat 1217
- Total Fat 135.2 g
- Saturated Fat 64.7 g
- Cholesterol 399.0 mg
- Sodium 683.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 80.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: