Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Enjoy a classic carnivorous treat with this luxurious recipe for griddled steak with a green peppercorn sauce.
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 teaspoons green peppercorns, drained
- 7 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup red wine
- 5 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sirloin steaks
- mashed potatoes
- green beans
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a medium, heavy-based frying pan.
- Add in the carrot, onion and garlic. Fry gently until softened.
- Add in 6 teaspoons of green peppercorns, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the brandy. Return to the heat and simmer gently until reduced by half.
- Add the red wine, mixing well, and simmer until reduced by half.
- Finally add the stock and reduce by two-thirds.
- Strain the sauce and add the heavy cream and 2 teaspoons of green peppercorns. Set aside, allowing all the flavours to infuse. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Preheat a griddle pan until very hot. Brush the steak with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cook the steak on the griddle pan, allowing 2 minutes each side for rare, 4 minutes each side for medium and 6 minutes each side for well done.
- Serve the freshly griddled steak with the sauce.