Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Another version of a French classic.
Make and share this Steak Au Poivre (Steaks With Crushed Peppercorns) recipe from Food.com.
- 40 ounces shell steaks
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn, coarsely crushed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Sprinkle the steaks with salt on both sides. Season with the peppercorns and press into steaks so they adhere.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat until almost smoking. Add steaks and cook about 3 minutes and turn. Cook about 2 minutes, or longer, if you prefer them well done; remove to a platter and keep warm.
- Pour off fat from skillet, then add 2 teaspoons butter. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add wine and cook, while stirring, until wine is almost evaporated. Add cream and cook 1 minute. Swirl in remaining butter and pour gravy over steaks.
I love have always served sauteed onions with steak, so had to try this recipe. I used a ribeye and chose to grill it while making the sauce on the stove top. I had to sub onions for the shallots, as what I had on hand, otherwise made as written. Next time I would cook the sauce longer to allow it to thicken more!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 5.