Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from the South Beach Diet Cookbook. Nutritional data from the cookbook claims 204 cal, 7 g fat, 8 g carb, 1 g fiber per serving. Pay attention to the caloric and fat content of the steak you buy to meet your nutritional needs. This recipe would also be good with pork, chicken, or lamb.
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 crushed and 1 minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppercorns, crushed
- 16 ounces lean beef tenderloin steaks
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup green bell pepper, strips
- 2⁄3 cup red bell pepper, strips
- 2⁄3 cup yellow bell pepper, strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- In a small bowl, combine the crushed garlic and 1 tsp peppercorns. Press as small amount of the mixture onto each side of the steaks.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with olive oil cooking spray over medium heat.
- Arrange the steaks in the skillet so they do not overlap and cook, turning frequently, for 10 minutes, or until center of steak is 160 degrees.
- Remove steaks and keep warm.
- Clean the skillet, coat with cooking spray, and place over medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, and minced garlic an cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture over the steaks.
- In a small bowl, combine the bouillon granules, paprika, water, milk, and remaining 1/2 tsp peppercorns. Pour into skillet and cook, stirring often, over medium heat until the mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Spoon sauce over steaks and serve immediately.