This dish is a classic of French cuisine. Simple and sophisticated. Sauteed steak covered with crushed peppercorns and served with a rich brandy cream sauce. Green beans & baked potatoes or garlic & rosemary potatoes make nice sides and a salad rounds out the meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon marsala wine or 1 tablespoon madeira wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 (8 ounce) sirloin steaks, each 1-inch thick (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns, crushed (To crush, place the peppercorns in a plastic bag and flatten them with flat side of meat mallet)
- garlic salt, to taste
- 1/2 loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch thick rounds & toasted on both sides
- 1In a saucepan, heat the cream until it reduces by half (20-30 minutes).
- 2In a saute pan, heat the oil and butter.
- 3Spread crushed peppercorns on a work surface.
- 4Pat the steaks dry and coat both sides with an even layer of peppercorns, pressing in with heel of hand to make adhere; season to taste with garlic salt.
- 5Lay the steaks in the pan.
- 6Sear steaks over high heat to desired doneness (the steaks are medium-rare when they feel slightly resistant to touch and you can see a faint pearling of red juice on the surface).
- 7Add bouillon, lemon juice, wine, and salt to the sauce, and stir.
- 8When the steaks have cooked, remove them from the pan; pour in the brandy.
- 9Ignite the brandy and, once the flames die down, stir to deglaze the pan; then add the brandy to the cream sauce.
- 10Place each steak on a toasted slice of bread and top with sauce.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak Au Poivre (Peppered Steaks With Cognac Cream Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1325.0
- Calories from Fat 776
- Total Fat 86.3 g
- Saturated Fat 38.8 g
- Cholesterol 318.9 mg
- Sodium 824.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.9 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 75.5 g