Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A classic in every French cookbook, Steak au Poivre is the perfect main course for a romantic meal. A recipe I found on About.com for French food. This is one that I would probably grill the steaks, as I love the added flavor they get from the grill, and then make the recipe for the sauce on the stove top or side burner. Note: You can use coarsely ground peppercorns in place of the black pepper stated for the recipe.
- 4 slices steaks, 1-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup shallot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into 2 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup cognac
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Season both sides of each steak with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat, and then sauté the steaks, 2 at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the steaks to a heatproof dish and keep them warm in a 175-degree oven.
- Pour any leftover liquid from the skillet and lower the heat to medium.
- Add the shallots and 1 piece of butter; sauté for 5 minutes, until cooked.
- Carefully add Cognac (it may flame) and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in cream and other piece of butter; heat through, stirring constantly.
- Serve over steaks immediately.
love the sauce! i grilled my steaks so i could not use the pans scrapings, i did however cut off some of the fat before i cooked the steak and sauted it in the butter and shallots, i also added a teaspon or so of dijon mustard along with the cream. this sauce was amazing, great flavor did not over power the steak at all, a must try
This was delicious! The sauce was very flavorful and a perfect complement to the beef. I served it with # 482036, and it was a great combination.
Made for ZWT8.
Yum, yum, yummiest! We grilled the steaks...a cow sized porterhouse for DH and a dainty filet mignon for me. I did however make the full sauce recipe. It is so darn good I could eat it with a spoon. Ok, I did eat it with a spoon. What you see in the picture is the largest portion of the sauce left after my 'tastings'. There was less than 1/4 of a cup left & I should be ashamed. lol. I think this would aslo be a fabulous base for other dishes. Mushrooms would be good in it too. Did I tell you I love this sauce :) Made for ZWT5 - Ali Baba's Babes