1/5 Photos of Steak Au Poivre
A classic in every French cookbook, Steak au Poivre is the perfect main course for a romantic meal. A recipe I found on About.com for French food. This is one that I would probably grill the steaks, as I love the added flavor they get from the grill, and then make the recipe for the sauce on the stove top or side burner. Note: You can use coarsely ground peppercorns in place of the black pepper stated for the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season both sides of each steak with the salt and pepper.
- 2Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat, and then sauté the steaks, 2 at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- 3Transfer the steaks to a heatproof dish and keep them warm in a 175-degree oven.
- 4Pour any leftover liquid from the skillet and lower the heat to medium.
- 5Add the shallots and 1 piece of butter; sauté for 5 minutes, until cooked.
- 6Carefully add Cognac (it may flame) and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- 7Stir in cream and other piece of butter; heat through, stirring constantly.
- 8Serve over steaks immediately.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak Au Poivre
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.3
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 114.0 mg
- Sodium 1009.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 9.7 g