Recipe by Terry Caldwell
Steaks panbroiled/sauteed with crushed peppercorns
Top Review by Joe Z
I made a big mistake and the steak still tasted delicious. I forgot that I didn't have any matches, so I wasn't able to flame the steak! But it still tasted great. I'm looking forward to trying the recipe again (match in tow). The only other change I made was that I used olive oil with chopped garlic, instead of garlic oil.
Directions See How It's Made
- The pepper corns must be crushed, preferably with a mortar.
- Allow about 1/2 TBS per steak.
- About 30 minutes before cooking, press the crushed peppercorns into both sides of the steaks, using the heal of your hand or fingers.
- In a heavy skillet, heat a very small amount of oil.
- Sear the steak on both sides very quickly over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and cook to preference.
- When the steaks are done, quickly flame with the warm cognac.
- Remove the steaks to a hot platter, rinse the pan with a touch of the same cognac and pour over the steaks.