Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A fancy looking, but easy dish using pre-made gravy. Look for gourmet red-wine gravy, as this really enhances the flavour of the dish.
- 375 g fresh ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 250 g mixed wild mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 700 g sirloin steaks, trimed of fat and cut into thin strips
- 320 g ready made beef gravy
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius Cut out four 4 1/2 inch rounds of puff pastry. Place on a baking tray and score in a lattice pattern across the top. Brush with beaten egg and bake 10-15 minutes until golden.
- While pastry is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet. Add mushrooms and stir-fry 2-4 minutes until softened. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate. Add remaining oil to pan and cook half the steak. Stir fry 2-3 minutes and transfer to a plat, then repeat with other half of the steak.
- Pour the gravy into the pan, stir in mushrooms and simmer 4-5 minutes. Add the meat to the skillet and cook another minute or two. add between 50-75 ml water.
- Stir parsley into the sauce, divide mixture between four plates, and top each serving with a pastry 'lid'.
- Delicious with boiled new potatoes and a green salad.
This was superb, I used a high quality gravy..and added some red wine to it. Easy to put together and delicious. One change i made was to put the filling in a small casserole dish then bake it with the puff pastry on the top.