Recipe by Bec
Serve with rice or noodles. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988. I'm sure regular tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce will work just fine!
- 1 lb boneless beef round steak, cut 1/2 inch thick
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 4 medium carrots, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 1 medium green pepper, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat from steak and cut into 4 portions- Sprinkle with pepper.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, brown meat on both sides in oil.
- Stir in water, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, basil, thyme and marjoram.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add carrots, green pepper and mushrooms- Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving dish and pour tomato sauce over all.
- Serve with rice or noodles.