Recipe by alijen
This Surf-n-Turf salad is great if you have leftover steak from grilling or going out to eat. Also good without the scallops, or substitute shrimp.
- 4 cups spinach
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula or 2 cups additional spinach
- 1⁄4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 ounces gorgonzola, coarsely crumbled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb steak, pan-fried or grilled to your liking (such as New York or filet mignon)
- 1⁄2 lb scallops
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the vinaigrette: Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor.
- With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil.
- You could also make the vinaigrette in a bowl with a whisk, mixing in the oil last.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, red onion, arugula, cherry tomatoes, and half of the cheese.
- Toss the salad with enough vinaigrette to coat.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Arrange the salad on a platter or in 4 individual bowls.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet and coat with non-stick spray.
- Add the scallops and saute until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the scallops and add to the top of the salad.
- Cut the steaks crosswise into thin slices.
- Arrange the steak slices atop the salad and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Drizzle more vinaigrette over the steak slices and serve.