Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious quick dinner. This was my favorite dish that my mom made as a little girl. We still make it once a week and it is great leftover! You can double it and it is great for company.Only two pots to clean! I included a lowfat variation you can make with chicken; its yummy too!
- 1 round steak, sliced into strips
- 1 small onion, sliced (rings or chopped)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (i like the fat free)
- 1 can mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup cooking sherry (i like a little more)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (I like more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt (Maybe more to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked instant rice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Cook steak strips and onion in cooking oil in large skillet on medium- med high heat.
- When steak and onions are done add soup and mushrooms (undrained) stirring.
- When it looks less chunky and more soup-like add your sherry garlic and garlic salt.
- Stir and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- For even more tender meat, simmer a little longer on low.
- If it starts to thicken too much you can add a little water (depending on how thick you like your sauce.) Serve sauce over rice.
- Great with a salad and some garlic bread!
- For lowfat variation: Use chicken breasts.
- Boil them.
- Cut into chunks and add to sauce and onions.
- Use 98% fat free soup (can't taste the difference) delicious.
- You can even add a little lowfat sour cream and you have a Chicken Pareasean (can't spell it) dish!
Made this for dinner on Sunday, it was a very hot day and the best was this recipe was so quick to fix. I served it over mashed potatoes, my family loves instant mashed, so that was even less time in the kitchen and my daughter did the potatoes in the microwave. The sherry made the sauce nice and rich, it was a very classy dish, but so simple. I had to thicken it, so next time I would drain the mushrooms and save the liquid then add it if necessary. I thickened it with flour and water, I ended up with more sauce and then I added more sherry (more sherry is a good thing). More is better... We all loved it.
Great recipe, this will be a family favorite! I drained the mushrooms so the sauce was perfect, i also tried your other recipe which was also delicious!
Delicious! Easy to make, fast to cook on the stove and gone in 30 seconds!! Everyone loved your recipe. I will also drain the mushrooms next time so the sauce will be just a bit thicker.