Recipe by Sherri Dodsworth
I took the classic home chili recipe of 1 lb. hamburg + 1 can of tomatoes +1 can of kidney beans and kicked it up several notches to take this simple dish to a whole new level.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, undrained
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder (I use Ancho chili powder)
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut steak into roughly 1/2" dice. (This is easier to do if you put your thawed steak into the freezer for about 30 minutes first.).
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat; add steak, stirring until lightly brown all over. Add onion and garlic, stirring to prevent garlic from browning. Heat until onion is translucent. Stir in chili powder and cumin.
- Add drained tomatoes and undrained pintos, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until heated through and flavors develop. Stir in sherry and cilantro.
- Serve over hot rice, and garnish as desired with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced scallions.