Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Simple and basic; husband loves
Make and share this Steak and Onion Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- 226.79 g flank steak
- 1.23 ml salt (to taste)
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 9.85 ml canola oil
- 29.58 ml butter, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml sliced cremini mushrooms or 236.59 ml white button mushrooms
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 torpedo rolls, spit down the center
- 4 slice sharp provolone cheese
- Season steak with salt and black pepper.
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add steak, and cook to desired doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare and 5 minutes per side for medium-well.
- Transfer steak to a work surface; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a separate large skillet over med-low heat; add onions, and sprinkle with sugar; cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and peppers; cook 2-3 minutes, or until a few brown spots appear.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and cook another 2-3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Butter interior of rolls with remaining butter.
- Place face down on a large skillet over medium heat and brown until crispy.
- Meanwhile, slice cooked steak on the diagonal.
- Lay 2 cheese slices onto an opened torpedo roll.
- Top cheese with half the steak, then with half the vegetables.
- Repeat for the second sandwich; serve hot.