Recipe by SeriousMoms
This is from a book of Old Pioneer Recipes
Top Review by Kitchen Witch Steph
Our family of five had this with peas tonight for dinner and it was well received. Dh and dd1 both asked to have it again. Onions may have been a bit much for some of us, will decrease them next time. I used 1 1/2 lbs. cube steak and the meat was very tender. The seasoning was spot on. Directions were easy to follow...step #3 needs to be edited to the amount of 2 1/2 cups boiling water. Enjoyed making this pioneer recipe. Made for PAC Spring 08'.
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 lb round steak
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash ginger
- 1 dash allspice
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 pie crust, unbaked
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onions slowly in melted shortening until yellow. Remove onions and set aside.
- Slice meat into one inch cubes and toss in a mixture of flour and spices.
- Brown meat cutes in the hot melted shortening.
- Add boiling water.
- Cover skillet and cook over low heat approximately one hour.
- Add potatoes and cook 15 minutes more.
- Arrange onions over top of mixture.
- Pour into a greased 8-inch casserole dish.
- Fit pastry crust over top.
- Slit top with knife and seal edges of crust.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for 25 minutes.