Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This will stick to their ribs! Easy and best of all...tasty! Cook time does not include cooking the bean time (I use canned beans).
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked but still firm navy beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 slices bacon
- In a large frying pan,cook round steak in oil until browned; add beans, tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon half of the mixture into a 2-quart casserole; spread onions over the bean mixture, then sprinkle with half the brown sugar.
- Add remaining half of bean mixture, sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Lay strips of bacon over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 325° oven for about 1 hour.
I made this with leftover medium-rare cooked tri tip steak and with lima beans. I cooked it for about 15 minutes longer due to the beans, and it was fantastic! The meat was tender and the flavor was great. It was a great way to use up 2 pounds of leftover steak.
Wow, this dish was so good. Quick, easy to make, with everyday house staples. What a great treat this was. Nice textures, perfect blending of flavours from onions, bacon and sugar. The meat was tender and juicy. I can't wait to make this again. Thank you so much for sharing Hey Jude. A new family favourite, this goes to the keeper box....Kudos