Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a good recipe lots of herbs and when you serve over rice its wonderful. I hope you enjoy. Cowboys use to fry their steaks in this manner!!!
- 2 lbs top round steaks
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- Preheat frying pan to high heat or 420 if using an electric skillet.
- Cut Round steak into 2 inch strips.
- Roll the strips in flour, salt and pepper.
- Add Olive oil to pan.
- Brown Meat on both sides. Reduce heat to low or 220 on electic skillet, add herbs, 1/2°C Water and steam for about 20 mins, covered.
- Add remaining water,wine and mushrooms and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Check occasionally adding more water if needed.
- Remove meat from pan and add 1-2 T. Flour if necessary to thicken gravy.
- Serve with rice.
I made this a while ago - took photos but my review di not come through - I loved it and will make it again
Made this for Sunday dinner for DH, he loved it especially the gravy and he said the steak was fork tender. the red wine added a nice richness to the gravy. I added some mustard flour to the dredging flour for a little spark. the seasonings seemed to work well. I will make this again, thanks for posting.
I found this dish easy to do, it was tasty enough but more like a stew where you can't taste the individual flavors. I think that cooking seperately and sauteing the mushrooms and then tossing together might be more flavorful. We had it with *gasp* instant garlic mashed potatoes... went pretty well actually. I might make this again when I have more time to play with it. It froze well too.