Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I guess you could call this "a poor mans beef stroganoff." I invented it because I love stroganoff but couldn't afford a tender cut of steak! You can also substitute chicken for the steak.
- 500 g stewing beef
- cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 250 g button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (more or less according to taste)
- Cut meat into cubes.
- Heat a little cooking oil in a large saucepan or fry pan.
- Add meat and brown well.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add sliced onion and sauté 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside with meat.
- Add a little extra oil to pan.
- Add flour and stir over low heat til golden.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in wine, water, crumbled stock cube and tomato paste.
- Stir to combine, return to heat and bring to boil.
- Return meat and onions to the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add sliced mushrooms, cover and continue to simmer for 1/2 hour more.
- Stir through sour cream and serve immediately.
- Alternatively serve sour cream dolloped on top of each serving.