Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 6 mins
A recipe from my mom, this dish is amazingly rich and hearty, perfect for autumn/winter and packed full of flavour. It's a hit every time! If you like you can do part of the cooking the day before and finish it off in the over the next day (see note in the recipe).
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs top rump steak (1.5 inch diced) or 1 1⁄2-2 lbs shoulder steak (1.5 inch diced)
- salt and pepper
- 5 fluid ounces sherry wine
- 1 pint vegetable stock (suggest 2 Knor cubes or similar)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 9 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 baguette, sliced to top (optional)
- Pre heat oven to 170 deg C.
- Melt half the butter in a flame-proof casserole dish. Add onions and fry for 8-10 minutes Crush 2 of the garlic cloves and add for the last few minutes. Remove from casserole dish.
- Toss the beef in flour and salt and pepper and fry the beef in 2 batches to seal it, using half the remaining butter to fry each batch.
- When the meat has been browned return the onion and garlic to the casserole dish and add the sherry and the stock. Bring to the boil and then transfer to the over with a lid for 1 hour 30 minutes (If you want you can stop here and store it in the fridge to finish cooking the next day).
- Turn oven up to 190 degrees C.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and add the mushrooms. Toss and cook until they are soft and the juice has evaporated from them. Add them to the casserole dish. If you are not using the bread topping cook the ingredients for 30-40 mins stirring occasionally. Check that it doesn't dry out too much, if it does add a little extra water, but it should be fine.
- If using the bread topping - rub slices with the last garlic clove and butter, and arrange in rows, garlic side down on top of the meat for the last 30-40 minutes.