Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another Tater Topping recipe from Paula Deen's "Celebrates!" cookbook. She states, "This is for people like me-meat and potato eaters!"
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs top round steaks, sliced into thin strips
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil and brown the steak strips and onion.
- Remove the steak and onions from the pan. Add the butter and melt over low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Whisk in the beef broth and stir until the mixture thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Return the beef and onions to the pan. Add the mushrooms.
- Simmer for 30 minutes until tender.
- Taste, then season with the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- The topping can be refrigerated, covered, up to this point.
- Just before serving, reheat gently and stir in the sour cream.
- Do not allow the topping to boil.
- Keep hot in a crockpot or chafing dish over very low heat.
- Serve over baked potatoes.
This was so very yummy. Next time I wouldn't use round steak, I would choose something a bit more tender. I added some leftover strips of red and green peppers and didn't have condensed beef broth, just used beef broth. This has excellent flavor and I know I will be asked to make this again. We ate it over baked potatoes.
We LOVED this recipe! Its one of the best toppings we have ever had for a baked potato. I did make a few changes. First I halved the recipe and used 2 beef bouillon cubes to 1 cup of water and added McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning to the meat while cooking. I omitted the worcestershire sauce and sour cream but I have to say that this was DELICIOUS without both. This will be going into my families favorite recipe book!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe :)
I made this the other night when my h and I weren't very hungry. I ate it over a baked potato and he had his on the side of the potato. Though the kids didn't taste it, we both loved it! I only had less than 1 lb. of round steak left from another recipe and tried to judge cutting the ingredients as best I could, and it still came out great. Also - I couldn't find CONDENSED beef broth anywhere, so I used regular. When my h gives it the thumbs up, I know it's a keeper. Thanks!!