Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This one is excellent
- 2 lambs kidneys or 2 a piece ox kidney
- 1 kg topside steak
- 2 onions
- 3 cups beef stock or 3 cups water
- 375 g puff pastry
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- egg yolk, for glazing
- 1⁄2 cup water, extra
- Core and dice the kidneys, cut the steak into 2 1/2cm cubes.
- Put in a saucepan.
- Add stock and chopped onions, simmer, covered, 1 - 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Blend the flour with extra water, add to steak, stir until the mixture boils and thickens; cool.
- Pour into a pie dish.
- (If you want a darker gravy, add a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce). Roll out pastry to an oblong, or circle, (depending what shape dish you are using) slightly larger the d ish.
- Cut thin strips from the ends and fit round moistened edge of the dish.
- Brush pastry rim with water and place the top on.
- Press edges together, trim off excess pastry, using a sharp knife. Make 2 slits in centre to allow the steam to escape. Glaze with beaten egg yolk.
- Bake in a hot oven 20 - 25 minutes.
- Reduce heat to moderately hot, bake a further 25 - 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
I had a fantastic steak and kidney pie in Manchester, UK that was made with lamb kidneys. I have missed the flavor SO much since coming back to the US. This recipe looks very close to what I had there, with maybe a few tweaks. I can't wait to try this. The one I had in England had mushrooms in it too, and was a two crust pie.