Recipe by CJAY
This recipe comes from Melting Pot Potluck. It was put together to announce the arrival of a new pastor and his wife. Origin: England
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
This was something I have not had since childhood, so I was dying to make it. Although I do not eat organ meats any longer, I made two smaller pies - one for my father and one for my boyfriend. They both agreed that it was pretty tasty. After the meat had simmered for 1 hour, I added the mushrooms and carrots to the skillet, then stirred in the flour and water. I then poured the mixture in my baking dishes and cooked for about 30 minutes. I had a little trouble with my crust (it was a hot day and the dough was getting too soft as I was rolling it out). Thanks for sharing this trip down memory lane. Made for ZWT6.
- 2 small beef kidneys or 4 veal kidneys
- 3⁄4 lb round steak, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs parsley or 3 sprigs celery tops
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour (heaping)
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- pastry crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove skin and coarse parts of kidneys; wash in salted water. Cut into 1" squares and dredge in seasoned flour. Pound flour into round steak. Heat
- oil in heavy skillet and brown beef cubes on all sides. Then brown onion and add kidneys, cooking slowly until brown. Cover meat with hot water; add bay leaf, parsley, and cover tightly and simmer for 1 hour. Remove meat to deep baking dish. Add mushrooms and carrots. Mix flour and water and add to gravy to thicken it. Pour thickened gravy over meat and vegetables and top with pastry crust. Bake at 350* until crust is golden brown.