Recipe by bggio
This is favourite in the winter. You can leave out the potatoes and serve with mashed on the side.
- 1 beef kidney
- 3⁄4 lb sirloin steak (or whatever is in the freezer)
- 3⁄4 lb lamb shoulder (or just use 1 1/2 lb beef)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup hot water or 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs parsley (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 sprig thyme (1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, with leaf top
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup mixed mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup potato, diced
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup cabernet sauvignon wine, sauv. (your favorite flavour) or 1⁄2 cup Guinness stout (your favorite flavour)
- 1 pastry for single-crust pie, for 1 crust (I use ready made puff pastry)
Directions See How It's Made
- *2 Veal kidneys may be used for a milder flavor or lamb for more game flavour.
- Pre-heat oven 375 degrees f.
- Remove the skin and coarse parts from the kidneys. Wash in salted water and soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 1-inch squares.
- Cut steak and into pieces 1 inch.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown beef cubes on all sides, add kidneys and cook slowly until brown.
- Add vegetables with herbs to oil adding small amount of oil if needed on high heat glaze veggies for about 3 minutes.
- Add flour salt pepper mix to oil meat and veggie mix for a minute or until flour is slightly browned.
- Deglaze pan with wine or Guinness, scraping all of the bits off the pan 3 minutes.
- Cover meat and veggies with hot water and broth or a full cup of broth only, add bay leaf.
- Cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove to deep baking dish and bake for 45 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Remove from oven and put into 6-inch pie plates and top with pastry crust.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for about 40 minutes from fresh or until pastry raises and is browned.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes and then 400 degree F for 20 minutes from frozen watching not to burn pastry.