Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is favourite in the winter. You can leave out the potatoes and serve with mashed on the side.
Make and share this Steak and Kidney Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 beef kidney
- 3⁄4 lb sirloin steak (or whatever is in the freezer)
- 3⁄4 lb lamb shoulder (or just use 1 1/2 lb beef)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup hot water or 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs parsley (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 sprig thyme (1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, with leaf top
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup mixed mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup potato, diced
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup cabernet sauvignon wine, sauv. (your favorite flavour) or 1⁄2 cup Guinness stout (your favorite flavour)
- 1 pastry for single-crust pie, for 1 crust (I use ready made puff pastry)
- *2 Veal kidneys may be used for a milder flavor or lamb for more game flavour.
- Pre-heat oven 375 degrees f.
- Remove the skin and coarse parts from the kidneys. Wash in salted water and soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 1-inch squares.
- Cut steak and into pieces 1 inch.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown beef cubes on all sides, add kidneys and cook slowly until brown.
- Add vegetables with herbs to oil adding small amount of oil if needed on high heat glaze veggies for about 3 minutes.
- Add flour salt pepper mix to oil meat and veggie mix for a minute or until flour is slightly browned.
- Deglaze pan with wine or Guinness, scraping all of the bits off the pan 3 minutes.
- Cover meat and veggies with hot water and broth or a full cup of broth only, add bay leaf.
- Cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove to deep baking dish and bake for 45 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Remove from oven and put into 6-inch pie plates and top with pastry crust.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for about 40 minutes from fresh or until pastry raises and is browned.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes and then 400 degree F for 20 minutes from frozen watching not to burn pastry.